Shhh! Secret Life of a Princess

Random, provoking thoughts from a self-confessed princess :: with focus on motivational learnings from the media. I hope to inspire everyone to be the best they can be

Monday, June 23, 2008

7 Ways to Destress



Always on the go, always busy, relishing in the act of managing others and always thinking of others above oneself, I could be one of the most uptight, stressed person in the world. The tightness in my neck and shoulders could be a mainstay no matter how much I try to massage it away. The gastric in my tummy due to irregular meals and inability to eat when I am stressed will get worse and affect my later in life years.

It is with this that I am glad I found an article on how I can relax and reduce stress which I found rather effective:
1. Do a productive activity besides work so that you can reward yourself after the activity, be it cleaning the bathroom, clearing out unwanted items in your room or going for that high-intensity aerobics class. Performing an activity that will give you a visible, tangible results with clear goal in sight leaves you tired but happy as removes the thoughts away from your work for that few minutes or hours. For some, clearing out the physical clutter makes one feel like they are cleaning up the clutter in the rest of their life.
2. Get Mad: A bar in Japan called The Rising Sun Anger Release Bar allows patrons to scream, break glasses and beat up any of their beefy male employees for $10 to $50 per session. Suprisingly, a weird concept like this has a growing list of customers due to the amount of stress experienced by the workers in that country. Pent-up angers will create an unspoken amount of stress that once accumulated too much will create undesirable results. Thus, this restaurant provides a release that noj other place can. If you do not have a place like this in your country, scream into a pillow, go for kickboxing or scream into a music roaring car. You never know how much it will help to let the stress out.
3. Anticipate Laughter: Everyone knows that laughter is the best medicine but by anticipating laughter, it creates a positive mood that will help reduce stress. If you are anticipating meeting a close friend over a nice drinks tonight, watching a feel-good romantic comedy or going for that nice piece of cake you have been longing for after work, you most likely will not get stressed in most situations and knows how to prevent negative emotions from building up. When you are anticipating laughter, you're placing yourself in a state where your brain thinks you are happy and activates the chemicals or hormone(cortisol) to provide a positive outcome. It is true that doing something spontaneous that will make you happy works too but in situations where you can't, the next best thing is to anticipate it and think on the bright side.
4. Stop worrying about Money: Most people think money will make them happy as they can own whatever they want but usually that is not the case. The more money you have, the more you want it. It is ironic how people used to be happier when life was simpler many years ago. Thus, it is not a matter of how much money you have but how you put your money into perspective. You must be able to prioritise your goals so that you know what to do with your money. At the end of the day, it's not how much you earn; it's how much you save that matters.
5. Get Intimate: Having a close friend, couple or husband/wife that you can talk to and be intimate with will reduce your stress levels by a lot. Intimacy provide a sense of bonding and reassurance of being supported. In you do not have a second half, try seeking empathy and support from a close friend or book an appointment with a masseuse. You never know how much refreshed you feel after the session.
6. Shutdown for a While: No matter how much you can multi-task at work, everyone breaks down and requires rest. It makes wonders to turn off your mobile phones, laptops or pcs for a while just to relax your mind. On weekend, spend at least half or a full day not turning the laptop on and live on ordinary form of entertainment like sports and tv. It will surprise you how much you can get a different perspective or a new idea just by not being productive for a while.
7. Indulge in your Senses: Be it candles or aromatherapy, experiencing different sights, sounds and smells do wonders to your body. Having a nice warm bath (feeling) surrounded by bubbles (sight) and aromatic candles (smell) will help you forget about worries. Jogging round a new park, watching the sun rising (sight) and the birds chirping around you (hearing) also makes you see how beautiful life is. These moments can definitely wile the stress away.

Thus, it is with these tips that I am now going to light some aromatic candles around my queen-size bed in my nice silky pajamas before I lull myself to sleep while thinking of how happy it will be to bond with one of my close girlfriend whom I have not met for the past 2 months. How wonderful :)

Labels:

1 Bowed to the princess

  • At 2:44 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I get stressed out really easily, too. I have tried many things in order to get relaxed! I have everything from aromatherapy and bubble baths. Nothing seems to work, all that well! The, my co-worker told me about this herbal supplement, called "Absolute Calm," which is suppose to help you relax. After I took it, the natural supplement seems to have calmed me down, helped me to become relaxed and also helped me to focus on what I really need to do. I highly recommend it! You can learn more about this herbal supplement at this Web site: http://getabsolutecalm.com/general/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=media&utm_content=General&utm_campaign=Blog.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home