Shhh! Secret Life of a Princess

Random, provoking thoughts from a self-confessed princess :: with focus on motivational learnings from the media. I hope to inspire everyone to be the best they can be

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Career Life Balance

I'm a Virgo born in the year of horse. This is the equation:
Virgo + Horse = Workaholic, Ambitious, Career-minded, Driven, Perfectionist, Dynamic, Demanding of others

When I read the profiles of my bosses, the Head of Global Mobile, David Ko and CEO of Yahoo! Carol Bartz, who both are also Virgo with their birthdays a few days apart from me, I realise the similarities we have. Even the quotes she lives by is the same as mine. Read the article here:

"It's not because I wanted to be a martyr. It's because I had a job to do, and my family knew I'd be much happier if I was back in the saddle. I love to work. I love to run companies. I love to help people I work with. And I don't let anything get in the way of doing what I love.

Coming to Silicon Valley was a blessing for me. I realized soon after arriving here that most people didn't take a lot of time to ponder, or analyze a decision to death. There just isn't time.

This fit my nature of "doing" very well. I like change. Frankly, it's hard for me to understand why more people don't embrace it. I'm impatient with people and teams who don't move forward. "

- Carol Batz, CEO of Yahoo! whom I respect for taking the time and effort to write emails to the whole of more than 10K people in Yahoo! all over the world every Friday!

I never believe in work-life balance. Once you think about that, you already will not be putting as much attention and time into your career, thus making your personal life take over . However, there are times in my life that I just needed to take a break and have a bit of diversion on my personal life again. And the time is now. One and a half week towards my wedding, I am still unable to take leave to manage my wedding in Malaysia but still have to do it remotely from Singapore. When I requested to work from home, I am told that I need to be in Singapore for a meeting, which I thought, hmmm, can't someone sit in for me?

I am such a workaholic that I already have plans on things I need to achieve after this wedding is over. I gain satisfaction through results and achievements. Unlike other brides who looks into every details of the wedding, I have been outsourcing this to everyone else due to my location, travel and work commitments. Now, I just hope that I can be part of the process that will be the once-in-a-lifetime event for me.

Labels:

2 Bowed to the princess

  • At 12:41 AM, Blogger vialentino said…

    hope to c u to be CEO of a company soon...u got the potential!

     
  • At 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What u want to say is i-pop wont work without you lah , hahahaha
    so funny

     

Post a Comment

<< Home