Shhh! Secret Life of a Princess

Random, provoking thoughts from a self-confessed princess :: with focus on motivational learnings from the media. I hope to inspire everyone to be the best they can be

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Know What You Want


"It does not matter if you are an outsider or insider. What matters is you know what you want and you go get it."

Quoted beautifully by the protagonist in The Fast & Furious 3 that I watched for free today. Never had any quote resemble myself so closely now. Being in a country other than your own, it is not always a bed of roses. People do treat me like an outsider sometimes the moment you mention you are a Malaysian working in Singapore. The other day I was taking a taxi home and the moment the taxi driver knows that I am a Malaysian, he told me how the unemployment rate is increasing in Singapore due to the influx of foreigners like us to their country. He told of how his poor son could not get a job that commensurate with his qualifications and as a result had to study Masters in Australia.

It really is not our fault to be taking their "rice bowl". We are given the opportunity to work in their country as we are cheaper labor and having them pay us the same salary in numeric value as Malaysia, we are alr getting a lot. Singaporeans would never have accepted the level of salary most foreigners are given here. Win-win situation ain't it?

The Sg govt do not realise the criticality of the situation as they might be harming their own people by offering jobs that can easily be done by Singaporeans to foreigners. They only think of how foreigners can help improve their economy by cutting cost and even offer PR to many of them.

As for me, I am still benefitting from this situation until the government controls the situation better. I am learning faster and better here with the right work attitude and work system, plus I am getting opportunities that I would not have not gotten back home. There is truly a reason why Singapore is more advanced than Malaysia and you have to be here to know it. It does not suit everyone though but I am in the restless mode of being able to take the challenge right now. Like what the actor said, "I know what I want and I will get it" :)

4 Bowed to the princess

Post a Comment

<< Home